Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Master Plan


So for some time I have been working out a diligently of how I am going to pull this project off.  Of course behind every project there's got to be a plan. So for me, since my experience in building a musical instrument of any kind is null, as much pre-planning and research as possible must fill in the void of practical experience.  So for starters, I think it was necessary to gather as much material on the fabrication of these guitars as possible. Luckily a Luthier out of Canada, named Michael Collins, has publish a book and a 10 DVD set on the production of these guitars. Having bought the book and recieving the DVD set for Christmas, I also aquired plans by Françios Charle through www.elderly.com, I believe I have sufficient info regarding specific details of the Selmer guitar. Of course there is still plenty left to figure out when it comes to general lutherie practice that I'll need to figure out, for that I have Guitar making, tradition and technology by William R. Cumpiano and Jonathan D. Natelson as well as The Luthier's Handbook  by  Roger H. Siminoff.  The first book mentioned from what I gather seems to be heralded as the definitive book when it comes to making acoustic guitars, according to several posts I read on a few luthier forums. So I definitely have my reading cut out for me, but thats all part of the master plan! 

Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment