Saturday, January 24, 2009

A shave and a trim! A new tool has arrived.

Lookie what I got here, my Laminate Trimmer / Palm Router arrived today (well technically yesterday since I am writing this after midnight Sunday morning). Its a Bosch Colt PR20EVSK variable speed Palm router. This particular one is actually a factory reconditioned unit I purchased onine through CPO.Since it was factory reconditioned I only ended up shelling out around 80 dollars as opposed for the 120+ if I were to buy it brand new. Which the way I see it is a better way to go, since its the manufacture who makes the tool reconditioning the tool as if it were new, just a few cosmetic blemishes but hey, its a tool right? Its not meant to look pretty. Anyways This is definitely a usefull tool for the luthier, from routing out binding, perfling, and rosette channels, for cutting the sound hole, shaping the head stock, carving out the mortise and tenon joint for the neck, plenty of uses that may seem a bit overkill for a big 2hp router that otherwise may seem too cumbersome. Not to say that a router still isn't needed. I chose the Bosch because it seems to be the king of the hill for palm routers at moment. It gets remarkable reviews, seems more like a router than a laminate trimmer, plus its a full 1hp of power, making it beefier than the competition. Plus this particular model has 6 speed settings so I have the ability to cater the cutting speed to the material. Definitely will be a useful tool for this project.

Well gotta call it a night. Gotta get up early for a canoe race tomorrow in the chilly winter weather. Isn't Texas supposed to be hot?

Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment